Well, this week was a challenge for my attention span. I'm realizing that the more I learn about Web 2.0 tools, the more I realize that my learned method of processing information is very different than those of students today. I'm realizing that people--young and old--are engaging in dialogue in a very different way than what I am used to.
In exploring a variety of social networks this week, I found myself a bit lost in the maze of nings, blogs, and wikis. The more I clicked, the more I navigated away from my starting point, and the more I realized just how much information is out there. To be honest, I kind of had to take a breather and just soak it all in. I wasn't quite able to post anything yet.
Part of the reason is because many of the nings I checked out were not very active. I was a bit discouraged when the last posts were October or early November. I kept waiting to find a social network where people were actively talking about global education and posting regulary. Instead, I found lots of "small" nings (with fewer members) and limited dialogue. Did anyone have any luck finding a really active site? Even the GEC was a bit puny in terms of quantity of dialogue.
One idea I did have is thinking about how we could create a ning as part of a course. I saw several nings that were by invitation only, so I thought this could be a possibility for one of our courses that has an online component (like Global Understanding, for example). We could create "groups" that helps subdivide participants. Then they can post discussions within those groups--I think. I still have some exploring to do, but I like the idea and want to learn more.
Monday, December 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment